Remaking old things into fashionable ones with your own hands 🥝 how to remake, suture knitwear
Many women, when buying another knitted dress in a store or at a flea market, are primarily guided not by common sense, but by a spontaneous impulse, a huge desire to buy what they like at all costs. In such cases, the brain is completely turned off, and such purchases, as a rule, then disappoint us when we get home and it turns out that the dress is very narrow or long, that the thing is too short, small, narrow in the shoulders or there is nowhere to put on it at all. Fortunately, not all representatives of the fair sex do such desperate things - more often, acquired things just have to be slightly corrected, corrected and updated to achieve the perfect fit and size. In this article, we will answer the most important question that worries many ladies: how to remake a dress if it is small, if it takes a smaller size and you need to change it to a larger one yourself. In principle, there is nothing complicated in this work if there is a desire and time to work for your own good.to contents ↑
Dress a little - lose weight or alter?
Naturally, the first thing that comes to mind is to lose weight. But not everyone can lose enough kilograms in a short period of time to fit in a brand new dress.
You can try to alter it. But first, visually imagine what kind of result you want to achieve. Here, much depends on the design of the outfit itself, because, perhaps, it can not be altered at all. And if there are many reliefs, seams and coquette on it, then it will be even easier to do.
- First you have to embroider it.
- After that, all seams are carefully smoothed with an iron and all strings are removed.
- Then you need to choose the material that will play the role of the insert, and it is better if it resembles the main one in texture, but in color you can choose - on the contrary, a contrasting shade.
- Great for this purpose are mesh and guipure. Using these materials, you can significantly increase the outfit, give it sexuality and femininity.
to contents ↑
Important! If you are not a fan of open things, then use a double fabric, for example, silk and satin are now in fashion, which are covered with a mesh fabric on top. Material of flesh color with black guipure inserts just looks chic. You can use the same tips to follow our workshops. to sew dresses quickly and without a pattern.
Useful tips from professionals
Now we will consider the most popular solutions to problems that arise with things bought “by eye”, that is, small in size. So, further we will get acquainted with the most useful and proven tips of professionals regarding how to make a big dress out of a small dress:
- If you just bought a brand new dress or outfit that’s practically not worn, you can just gently open the seams and reduce the allowances for them by the required distance. Believe me, this seemed a simple option, will significantly increase the size of the dress.
- If you need to lengthen the dress, you can sew a beautiful and stylish frill from below, or cut it at the waist, insert a strip of original fabric in this place.
Important! Any material can be taken, and so that the changes made are in harmony with the outfit itself, you can trim the bodice or sleeves with the same fabric.
- We must not forget that before flashing it is necessary to wash and iron new material so that after finishing it does not sit down and does not spoil your new outfit even more.
- Before starting work, it is necessary to carefully calculate the patterns, not forgetting to consider all allowances for seams, the ability to move freely.
- If the clothes are small in any particular place, then you can try to do something with it. For instance:
- The bodice area can be increased by deepening the neckline or by inserting a beautiful ribbon directly into the seam.
- Wedges will help to expand the dress in the hips.
to contents ↑
Important! Most problems arise when a thing is small at the waist, because then you have to alter it completely.
What if the dress is small in the chest, hips or waist?
In such a situation, you need to look for information on how to expand the dress on the sides with your own hands. So that you can get into it and not feel discomfort in the hips, you need to sew a piece of fabric on the sides. To do this, simply spread it on the tucks, add the prepared material to the right place and sew everything back. There is nothing complicated and supernatural in this.
to contents ↑
Important! When it comes to hips, it is better to choose a fabric for inserts that is not too bright so that it hides the volumes a little.
What if the new outfit is too short?
And now we will consider the situation from a different perspective - when the purchased dress does not cover the necessary parts of the body in length. The issue of lengthening the outfit can be solved in several ways:
- Sew a wide ribbon of lace or lace fabric around the perimeter, which will give an image of playfulness and style.
- Look for a fabric that is similar in all respects to the main one, cut out the missing piece from it, sew it in the right place.
- If you are a fan of custom solutions, you can lengthen things with a completely different alternative fabric, for example, with some kind of bright print or geometric pattern.
- To make the new dress more solemn and elegant, you can sew fabric in the form of frills.
The choice of material when re-dressing
It may seem to some that it does not matter what material to choose for a new dress to be altered. But this is a big mistake and a mistake that many needlewomen make. The fact is that if it differs too much from the main fabric, then the dress will look messy. Therefore, do not save your time, go around a couple of ateliers or shops with fabrics to choose a material suitable for texture and structure.
It is necessary to take care of the manufacture of a small pattern. To expand the outfit or increase its length, you need to make all measurements taking into account the rigor of calculations and the register.
to contents ↑
Important! Remember that the dress is a very complex part of the wardrobe, because it covers almost the entire figure, except for the legs. Therefore, not everyone is able to correctly redo them correctly - one must use perspicacity and dexterity, courage and have an excellent taste.
Sometimes it’s easier to look at interesting ideas from practicing craftswomen and easily stitch together for an upcoming event DIY evening dress.
We alter a small dress on our own
Next, we will gradually and in detail consider how to arrange the dress, if it is small, on our own. In fact, this idea is quite simple in terms of implementation and it is suitable for remaking a dress of almost any style:
- With a strip of just 5 cm wide, we can increase the volume of the product by 1 cm.
- If you use a strip 6 cm wide, then 2 cm.And so on - everything will depend on how much you need to increase it in each particular case.
- If you plan to increase too large, it is better to use two bars at once.
Important! Another important point that must be taken into account. Many people are getting better, that is, things are getting small in front. Therefore, in order to increase a new product, in most cases it is enough to simply increase the shelf.
It is also possible simultaneous and uniform increase in the back and shelves. But in such cases, the width of the neck must necessarily increase by one fourth of the total number of increase in the shelf.
In addition to the product itself for alteration, you need a companion material.
Important! Before you begin the process of cutting and sewing, read about the various options, how to decorate a dress. It is likely that you will want to use some of them on your product.
Phased alteration looks like this:
- Dress preparation. First you need to tear off the sharpening of the collar or neck, to tear off the lower part. Then steam the product.
- Before you cut the dress, you need to fold it, while combining the shoulder and side seams, reliefs and tucks, halves of the neck and bottom. With the help of pins, you need to chop off all the combined seams and mark out the half-drift.
- If you use one strip to increase the dress, then you need to cut the shelf along the line of half-carried. But in the case of two strips, you will need to attach a line to the half-drift, make markings, step back a few centimeters from it and cut off both shelves.
- Now proportionally reduce the neck. To do this, you need a chest level. In order not to be mistaken, you can use your measure of chest height. Throat tapping solution - the width of the insert in the finished form minus the third part of the insert in the finished form. But this formula is considered approximate, so we only mark the stitches, while taking into account that its top must be at least 2 cm higher than the chest line.
- After fitting, we cut off all unnecessary.
- The insert can be made with stitched wedges, because it takes much less fabric to fabricate them than for whole-cut parts.
- Then we make inserts, smooth the seams and process the bottom and neck.
Dress is done!
to contents ↑
Important! Remember the importance of a competent selection of accessories to create a harmonious image. Our articles will help you with this:
So we learned how to remake a dress if it is not enough. Work does not take too much time and effort. The only thing is that everything must be done carefully and carefully to achieve the intended result.