How to wash a down jacket so that there are no stains
A down jacket is a popular type of outerwear, which is filled with various heaters, such as: holofiber, down, feather. It is worn by men, women and children. In winter, you wear it regularly, which causes various contaminants and there is a need for washing it. The question arises, how to wash a down jacket so that there are no stains? You will find the answer to this question in the article below.to contents ↑
Causes of stains on a down jacket
How and with what to wear a down jacket so that there are no stains? Before you correctly solve the problem of how to wash a down jacket or a black jacket without stains, you need to understand where this problem comes from. Most often, these factors contribute to this:
- Poor quality filler from the inside.
- Inadequate rinsing in clean water after washing or using a poor-quality detergent.
- Uneven or improper drying.
to contents ↑
Important! To understand in more detail the first two reasons, we advise you to read the following our reviews:
How to remove a down jacket without stains in a washing machine?
Since many today are used to washing all things exclusively in the washing machine, natural questions arise: is it possible to handle a down jacket in this way and how to do it right? If you follow this step-by-step instruction, no unsightly consequences will arise and the problem of how to wash the down jacket so that there are no stains, you will no longer have:
- Remove all unnecessary items from your pockets.
- Unfasten the fur and hood.
- Turn the entire jacket completely, including the sleeves, inside out.
- Close the thing with a zipper.
- Put 3 tennis balls in the drum of the washing machine - this affects the quality of rinsing and the uniform distribution of fluff during processing. Better yet - buy special balls for washing.
- Put a down jacket and a hood from it in the washing machine - do not put anything else there so that it can rotate freely in the drum.
- Add washing powder to the desired compartment.
- Wash in delicate mode - no higher than 30 degrees.
- Repeat rinsing several times in order to completely wash the detergent.
- Set the maximum spin in the washing machine.
to contents ↑
Important! For washing the jacket, it is better to use liquid powder. If you use a regular one, pour it in a much smaller amount than with regular washing.
To find out the dosage very precisely, look at our calculation for powders, gels and other detergents at the link“How much powder to pour into a washing machine?”.
How to wash a down jacket manually without stains?
The implementation of this procedure will depend on the filler in it. Each of them has its own washing method. Choose and apply the appropriate one based on your type of filler.
If your jacket is filled with holofiber, wash it as follows:
- Pour warm water into a basin or bath at a temperature of 30 degrees.
- Take liquid laundry detergent or for delicate washing.
- Add it to water hence the instructions.
- Immerse the jacket in soapy water.
- Wash it.
- Rinse thoroughly several times with clean water after washing.
- Squeeze out the water well.
- Flatten and shake the thing.
- Hang the jacket on your shoulders.
- Hang out to dry in a suitable place.
- Shake it periodically.
If the down jacket is filled with down or feather, it is recommended to wash it not completely, but only partially. This procedure is performed as follows:
- Take laundry soap or liquid detergent.
- Lather them with contaminated areas — often collars, cuffs, and pockets.
- Rub them with a brush or sponge.
- Rinse off the soapy places with running water from the shower.
to contents ↑
Important! Before you start washing, carefully read the labels on the product, so as not to spoil the thing. Some down jackets are designed for dry cleaning only.
How to remove spots from a down jacket?
There are folk ways to remove stains of various origin from a down jacket at home. Use the most suitable of the following for you.
- Take 2 tsp. dishwashing detergent.
- Dilute it in warm water, in a small amount.
- Dampen a clean sponge with the resulting solution.
- Rub the greasy stain.
- Leave the product for a while.
- Remove the cleaning agent with a damp cloth.
- Rinse the treated area with clean water.
To remove oil stains, you will need gasoline, which you can purchase at a hardware store. In this case, your action scheme will be as follows:
- Moisten a cotton pad with gasoline.
- Wipe the oil stain.
- Wash off gasoline with clean running water.
Important! Before applying gasoline to a stain, check its effect on an inconspicuous area of the product. In the event that the color on the fabric has not changed, feel free to treat it with a spot in a conspicuous place when solving a problem, than wash the down jacket so that there are no stains.
Many unsightly traces of various origins are removed with ammonia. The principle of using this tool is quite simple:
- Take 10% ammonia.
- Mix 100g with a little detergent.
- Thoroughly mix the resulting mixture.
- Apply a cleanser to the stain.
- Rub gently.
- Rinse with clean running water.
How to remove stains from clothes after washing?
Washed down jacket, spots and stains appeared on it - remove them with one of the options below.
In order not to overshoot your jacket, try to remove spots and stains by doing the following:
- Wet a cloth or sponge with hydrogen peroxide.
- Rub the unsightly marks.
Important! This option is suitable for various colors of the material except white.
Remove yellow stains on the jacket after washing, thus:
- Take a stain remover or dish detergent.
- Apply to stain.
- Wait a couple of minutes.
- Put the jacket back in the washing machine.
- Wash the down jacket again in a suitable mode.
On the down jacket after washing, remove stains with vinegar. For this:
- Take the vinegar.
- Dilute with water in equal amounts.
- Moisten a rag or sponge with the resulting solution.
- Rub the stains until the problem is completely removed.
to contents ↑
Important! To correctly complete the process of cleaning outerwear, follow the links to feature articles:
We hope that our article has benefited you and now you know how to wash the down jacket so that there are no stains. Follow our advice and your clothes will certainly please you with their cleanliness.
- How to choose a women's down jacket for the winter?
- What insulation is best for a winter jacket?
- Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Washing powder - rating
- Balls for washing
- How much powder to pour into a washing machine 🥝 washing consumption, how to measure
- How to dry a down jacket after washing in a typewriter?
- How to store a down jacket?