How to stretch a thing 🥝 how to restore a woolen sweater
What to do if a thing has sat down after washing? Naturally, this question arises if you forgot to read the care information that is provided on the product label. Do not rush to throw away the deformed thing or put it into the far corner - it is still worth fighting for its existence. You can save the current situation with the help of simple recipes that you will find in this article.to contents ↑
How to prevent shrinkage of clothes?
What to do if clothes dry after washing? If the fabric is prone to shrinkage, you can hardly avoid it, especially if you take care of it incorrectly. For example, fabrics such as wool and cotton tend to shrink after the first wash. So that the deformation of the wardrobe item is not so pronounced, it is better to be safe right away and buy things from such material one size larger.to contents ↑
What to do if a woolen thing has sat down?
In the event that a problem has already arisen and you are trying to decide what to do if the thing sat down after washing, you will need simple tools that are likely to be in your house:
- washing powder for woolen and delicate fabrics;
- hydrogen peroxide;
- vodka (cologne);
- baking soda;
- wine acid;
- piece of gauze;
- washing machine.
Before stretching a woolen sweater, pay attention to the following recommendations:
- If the composition of the woolen material is cotton or viscose, such a thing is still to be restored.
- Since wool is afraid of high temperatures, use only cool water for processing.
- Do not change the temperature of the water during processing - this may cause the fibers to fall off, and you will not achieve the desired result.
- You can restore a deformed item by re-washing only by hand.
- For processing, use only gentle powders or gels designed for washing delicate items.
- When rinsing, add conditioner - this way you soften the fibers and make the product more elastic.
- Never twist wool - with aggressive spinning, the thread is deformed.
- For effective extraction of moisture use terry towels or any moisture-absorbing fabric.
- Roll up the product in a towel and squeeze so that the water passes on dry material.
- When stretching the canvas, remember that the length of the parts must be the same.
- Make sure that there are no wrinkles, the collar and cuffs must be straightened.
- Dry the product only in a horizontal position.
to contents ↑
Important! If the clothes are so spoiled that the proposed instructions did not help, think of a different application. Our reviews will help you with this:
Ways to restore the old form of shrunken clothes
Is it possible to restore the old form of clothing? We offer several options for solving the problem: if a woolen sweater, hat or coat sat down after washing, what should be done to make the thing return to its previous shape.
- Immerse the product in warm water no more than 30 ° C for 5-10 minutes.
- Wring out.
- Prepare a flat surface for drying and cover it with a bath towel.
- Spread the woolen cloth to dry, stretch the shrunken parts in the right direction, align them to the lower edge, straighten and fasten with plastic clothespins.
Important! Do not use iron needles (pins) to avoid rusty marks. Hang an almost dry thing on your shoulders.
To save a shrunken sweater, make the following solution:
- Pour 5 l of room temperature water into the basin.
- Add 3 tbsp. ammonia, 1 tbsp vodka (any cologne), 1 tbsp. turpentine.
- Put the deformed thing in the solution for 30-40 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly in water at the same temperature.
After this procedure, the wool fibers become soft and elastic, so that the product can be restored to its original shape by fixing in the manner described above.
Important! Depending on what kind of thing shrunk and what it is made of, in case of unsuccessful attempts to restore its original shape and size, use our following ideas:
Ordinary hydrogen peroxide will help to correct the situation:
- Dilute 20-30 ml of the drug in 10 l of cold water.
- Thoroughly rinse the shrunken thing in the solution, while actively stretching the problem areas
- Leave the sweater in solution for 1.5-2 hours.
- Spread out to dry, periodically stretching the shrunken sections.
Important! The longer you process the product, the higher the likelihood of restoration to its previous size. Carefully use this method on dark and multi-colored products to prevent color changes.
- Prepare a soap solution from the wool detergent powder.
- Soak the product for 20-30 minutes
- Rinse in clear water.
- Wring out.
- Place in a plastic bag and put in the freezer for a day.
- Put on a moisture-absorbing cloth to allow water to drain off when fully thawed.
- Dry at room temperature.
- Mix equal amounts of water and ammonia.
- Put the product soak for 2 hours.
- Rinse with plenty of water.
To stretch a shrunken thing of white color, use milk:
- Soak the product in milk for half an hour.
If the question of what to do if the knitted jacket, woolen sweater or dress has sat down is still relevant, proceed as follows:
- Pour 2 l of cold water into the basin and add 20 g of soda.
- Soak a thing in solution for 10-12 hours.
- Wash using detergent.
- Prepare the following solution: add 2 tablespoons to 2 liters of water. tartaric acid.
- Turn the sweater periodically so that it is evenly in the liquid.
- After 2 hours, rinse and dry.
- Turn the deformed thing inside out.
- Lay on an ironing board and cover with wet gauze.
- Set the steam mode on the iron.
- Do not use too hot iron to iron problem areas, specially stretching them.
An unusual way, but quite effective if you have an acute question, what to do if a woolen sweater has sat down:
- Wet the item in cool water.
- Squeeze out the main moisture.
- Put on yourself and wear until it is almost dry.
- The story is dried upright.
to contents ↑
Important! Alternatively, you can use a trade mannequin, but in this case, evenly distribute the product and tie the weights to the sleeves and the bottom of the product. Unscrewing a deformed product is strictly prohibited.
How to stretch a knitted thing?
The same problem affects items made from cotton material: knitted t-shirts, sweaters, jeans. In resolving issues: how to stretch a thing from cotton, after washing a T-shirt has sat, what to do, you will need 3% vinegar, a sponge and hair conditioner:
- Wet the product in warm water for a few minutes.
- Wring out.
- Put the wardrobe in an empty basin and dampen it with plenty of hair conditioner.
- Start stretching. If it stretches badly, leave the product in the air conditioner for a few more minutes.
- Rinse in clean water.
- Slightly wring out a thing, but do not twist.
- Pour vinegar into a small bowl.
- Lay out the stretchable thing in a wide basin or in the bathroom.
- Dampen the sponge in the product and wipe the fabric with stretching movements.
- Wash in the washing machine, but only in a suitable mode.
- Rinse with the addition of fabric softener to remove the vinegar odor.
to contents ↑
Important! There are many more interesting ideas in our arsenal that you can use for knitwear items:
What to do to a thing sat down?
The fundamentally opposite situation - what to do to make a thing sit down is also quite relevant for many. If you don’t know how to make the T-shirt sit down, entrust the machine with such a task:
- Set the temperature mode to 60 ° C.
- Pour powder into the washing machine container to preserve color so that the item does not fade under the influence of hot water.
- Apply normal spin.
- Set the machine to drying mode.
- After drying, iron the product without stretching it with an iron using steam.
What to do to make a woolen thing sit down?
To reduce the woolen thing, do the washing in hot water by hand, as the washing machine can change it permanently. After processing, rinse the item in cool water.
to contents ↑
Important! Another delicate material is silk. You can also resize items made of this fabric by means of warm water and drying in the sun or in a well-ventilated area. Please note that all procedures can only be performed manually - silk fabric does not welcome machine wash.
Now you know how to restore a thing with any kind of deformation. We hope that our tips will help you resolve any situation.
- Do-it-yourself rugs from old things
- From old do-it-yourself sweaters
- Remaking old things into fashionable ones with your own hands 🥝 how to remake, suture knitwear
- How to remake a skirt if small?
- What to do if jeans are small in length?
- How to make knitted yarn from a t-shirt?
- How to make a mask from a t-shirt?