How to wash a feather pillow in an automatic machine at home 🥝 washing down pillows
Many household items need the most thorough and delicate care. These items include pillows, because their cleanliness is the key to healthy sleep and good health. Inside the pillow during prolonged use accumulate: dust, skin particles, sweat and other impurities that create a favorable environment for the reproduction of dust mites and other harmful microorganisms. In order to protect the body from allergies and other diseases, household items must be cleaned regularly. Unfortunately, not many people know how to wash a feather pillow in an automatic washing machine, and it is precisely such products that are the main nursery of dust mites and bugs. Today we will tell you how to properly care for pillows and introduce you to the rules for washing delicate items.to contents ↑
What pillows can be washed in a washing machine?
Pillows have a different filler, the main ones are as follows:
- Wool - sheep or camel.
- Organic materials - buckwheat husk.
- Synthetic materials - fiberblond, polyester balls, synthetic winterizer, holofiber.
Depending on the conditions of use of the household item and the filler material, the pillow can be washed in this way:
- Feather and down pillows are recommended to be cleaned from 2 to 4 times a year (no more often), using hand, machine wash or steaming.
- Bamboo products are very durable, so you can wash them from 6 times a year - both manually and with the help of an automatic machine, like all pillows with synthetic filling. Bamboo is a natural material that perfectly retains its shape and does not lose its amazing properties, even after repeated washing.
Important! By the way, bamboo fiber is very popular today due to its excellent performance and environmental friendliness. A variety of materials and household items are made from it, which you can learn more about from our special reviews:
- Synthetic pillows are recommended to be washed as little as possible. Before washing the pillows with synthetic filler should be carefully knocked out from dust and dirt. It is very easy to take care of products with synthetic filler - they can be cleaned both manually and machine-washed.
Important! Machine washable syntepon cushions in the following modes: “Delicate”, “Manual”, “Duvet”. Water temperature should not exceed 40 degrees. When choosing a detergent, give preference gel powderwhich is easier to rinse out.
- Anti-stress pillows cope with loads perfectly, so you can clean them from 5 times a year. You can use both machine and hand wash. But squeezing such products is not recommended, since the filler consists of polyester balls.
- Woolen pillows can be washed in the following modes: “Wool”, “Hand wash”. Rinse should be repeated, and spin - at low speeds.
Important! When washing pillows made of wool, it is necessary to use special liquid products for the care of wool products, which contain lanolin.This substance protects wool fibers from contamination and makes them more elastic.
- Buckwheat-filled pillows should not be washed at all. Care for such products is as follows - the filler must be emptied, and then dried or calcined. The pillow cover is erased during delicate mode in the car or manually.
- Orthopedic pillows can not be washed in the car, as this can lead to loss of shape and wellness functions. Orthopedic pillows are cleaned only by hand.
Washing pillows is a rather time-consuming process, especially for items with down or feather filling. Next, we will tell you how to wash a down pillow and feather pillow, as well as how to prepare them for the machine wash process.
to contents ↑
Important! If you are going to clean the pillow, it is best to immediately spend time on other bedding so that your sleep is comfortable and careless. Our other articles will help you:
Features of washing feather and fluff
The washing process itself is quite long and laborious. It consists of the following steps:
- Product preparation.
- The choice of detergent.
- The washing process.
Let's consider each stage in more detail.
If you are interested in the question of whether it is possible to wash a down pillow in a washing machine, then the answer is unequivocal - you can. But first you need to carefully prepare for this process:
- Sew or purchase special covers for washing fluff and feather products. If the pillow is small, then you can wash it in its entirety using an extra bed. However, many people recommend washing the filler in parts, especially if the product does not fit in the drum. In this case, the filler should be divided into several parts and washed separately.
- Spread the breastplate one at a time.
- Put down (feather) in a dry plastic basin.
- Put the filler in bags and sew them tightly. You can use old pillowcases as covers, but you need to fix the filler carefully so that the shell does not open during washing and the fluff does not damage the drum.
Important! The less filler in one case, the better it will clean.
- For machine wash pillows, purchase special balls for washing PVC with small spikes or use regular tennis balls. They will have an additional mechanical effect on the filler during rotation of the drum and prevent clumping of the material.
- If the pillow is already old and has never been washed, then take it to dry cleaning, as the old fluff can completely collapse when wet.
- Carefully pour stuffed material into covers to prevent its spread throughout the apartment. Work indoors without drafts. There should not be children, animals or household appliances that could be littered with fluff.
- Filler cupboards can be sewn from dense cotton without holes.
For hand washing the pillows, you can use mild shampoo or regular baby soap, but it is best to use special compositions for feather and down for any washing method. You can apply and modern liquid powder.
Use our tips when choosing a detergent, so that the result will please you:
- Do not use strong perfumes, as the too intrusive smell of the filler can cause a headache.
- To wash feather pillows in an automatic machine, select a detergent for delicate products or a special detergent for washing filler from feather and down.
- Use an extra rinse to remove any detergent from the filler.
Important! When rinsing again, add a few drops of any essential oil to the air conditioning compartment: cypress, orange, lavender.This will give the product a light pleasant aroma, for a while it will discourage dust mites from the filler.
There are 3 main ways to clean pillows at home:
- Handwash. Hand wash pillows without covers.
- Machine room.
Let's consider each method in more detail.
Hand Wash Steps:
- Pour water at 40 degrees in a large basin or bath.
- Dissolve the detergent in water. Use gel-like powder, baby shampoo, or baby soap shavings. The amount of the drug is calculated by the volume of water.
- Put filler in soapy water. With a large pillow size, divide the filler into several parts. The fluff should float freely, and not lay down.
- Leave the filler in the solution for 1.5-2 hours.
- Collect fluff (feather) with a colander, rinse with running water.
- Prepare a new soap solution.
- Put the filler in the solution.
- Rub the filler with your hands.
- Collect fluff in a colander, rinse under running water. Rinse the filler under running water until the detergent is completely washed.
- Gently squeeze the feathers.
- Place filler on a towel to dry.
- When draining water after washing, be sure to cover the opening of the bathtub or sink with a mesh so that the fluff does not clog the drain.
- You can use a large napkin for the hand-washing process, as for machine washing. Transfer all the fluff to a bedcloth and soak it for several hours in a soap solution. Rub the pillow thoroughly with your hands and drain the water. Proceed to rinse fluff under running water.
Important! This type of washing takes less time, but there is a chance of bonding the filler.
Washing feather pillows in a washing machine
Not every housewife wants to spend the whole day washing the pillows by hand. Fortunately, our domestic assistant can do this for us. It is only necessary to adhere to the following procedure for washing pillows in a typewriter:
- Divide the filler into several pads.
- Sew the free end carefully.
- Put the product in the drum along with tennis balls or special balls.
- Pour (pour) a small amount of powder (about 50 g) into the detergent drawer.
- Set the mode to “Delicate wash”, “Duvet” or “Hand wash”. The optimum temperature should be 30-40 degrees. Remember that hot water is harmful to organic filler.
- Turn on the extra rinse (double or intensive), as you need to wash well.
- Select a spin at low revs (up to 400 revolutions). If the machine does not have this spin mode, then simply select the water drain and squeeze the product carefully by hand.
- Start the washing process.
Important! Lay 2-3 napkins with fluff in the drum at a time. There will be practically no vibration during the spin cycle, and the load will be distributed evenly, which will allow avoiding large lumps.
How to wash a pillow from swan fluff?
Wash the pillow correctly is not so difficult, the main thing is to adhere to the sequence of the process of washing products from feather and down (described above) and use some recommendations:
- Water temperature should not be more than 30 degrees.
- Select “Hand Wash” or “Swan Fluff Wash”.
- If the car does not have special modes, then select the most delicate.
- Set the minimum number of revolutions or completely disable it.
- Turn on the extra rinse.
- Choose a special detergent for washing feather and fluff fillers.
- Dry the product outdoors or in a room with well-equipped natural or artificial ventilation. Swan fluff pillows should only be dried in a horizontal position. You can use a clothes dryer for this.
- Turn over the filling regularly during the drying process.
- Ironing pillows filled with swan fluff is strictly prohibited.
- After the filler is completely dry, pour it into a new or washed bedcloth.
Steaming as an alternative to washing
If there is a steamer, steam cleaner or iron with the function of vertical steam, to clean and process the product in the following way:
- Hang the pillow on a clothesline.
- Fasten the product with clothespins.
- Steam the pillow thoroughly on both sides.
- Repeat the steaming procedure twice.
- Spread down (feather) hands.
- Place the product on a horizontal surface to dry.
Important! Steam cleaning will not allow you to achieve such a result as washing, but it will rid the pillow of odors, destroy ticks and pathogenic flora, and also refresh the filler and the napkin.
Proper drying is an important cleaning step.
It is very important not only to wash the feather pillow in the automatic washing machine or manually, but also to dry the product. It is improper drying that can lead to the appearance of a musty odor and the growth of bacteria in a humid environment.
Use the following recommendations for proper drying:
- Clean delicate items in the summer so that the filler can dry in a maximum of 2 days. Otherwise, mold may begin to form.
- Spread clean fluff on a dry, horizontal surface in a calm place. Dry fluff indoors with free access to air and the sun.
- Place several layers of fabric or a dry newspaper under the filler.
- Stir feathers constantly to ensure a steady supply of fresh, dry air.
- To prevent feathers from scattering, cover them with gauze or a dense cloth.
- Remember that the less feathers will lie on one unit of area, the better. The drying process should not be delayed.
- Break formed lumps of filler with your hands, do not let them cram.
- After the filler dries out, it must be poured into a clean napkin and sewn with double stitching.
- If the filler was washed in covers, then hang the bags on the street. It is better to use shade or scattered rays of the sun for drying, as intense heat can damage the product. Shake and rotate the product every 2-3 hours so that the fluff does not clump.
- When washing the product in winter, remove the filler to fresh air - frost will further disinfect fluff.
- If the pillow does not completely dry out within 2-3 days, then the process of decay of the filler may begin. Only rinsing can save the situation. Rinse the napkin, rinse in soapy water and rinse thoroughly with running water. Spread filler on a horizontal surface, close to heat sources. You can dry the feathers in the oven at a temperature of 80-90 degrees until completely dry. Transfer dry feathers to a clean and ironed bed.
- An ordinary dust killer will help get rid of lumps. Place a clean and dried pillow on a soft horizontal surface, and evenly process it from all sides with light blows of a dust mill.
- To dry the filler, you can use a special bedcloth sewn from old tulle.
to contents ↑
For a pillow to serve you for many years, stick to the following recommendations:
- Beat the pillow every morning, carefully shifting it in your hands. Thanks to this procedure, the filler will be saturated with air and will retain its elasticity and shape for a long time.
- Take the product out into the open air once a fortnight. In winter, you can hold the pillow in the cold for several hours. This will save a delicate product from all kinds of microorganisms.
- Knock out the dust pillow regularly with a flat plastic clapper. Do this every time you change clothes.
- Do not store pillows in a humid place.
- Do not use plastic bags to store products. Store pillows in cloth covers so they breathe.
- To make the napkin less polluted, put on an extra pillowcase sewn from thin calico under the main pillowcase.
- Vacuum feather bedding periodically. New products - 2 times a month, and old - 1 time per month.
- For high-quality cleaning of feather and fluff products, use the services of professional dry cleaners. Specialists in professional equipment will not only clean the filler, but also disinfect it from ticks.
The annual washing of pillows with feather and down filler will help to avoid various diseases and ensure a healthy and full sleep. And now you know how to wash your favorite girlfriend pillow. Good and sweet dreams!
- Bamboo pillows
- How to glue bamboo wallpaper?
- Environmentally friendly flooring for an apartment
- Delicate washing in the washing machine 🥝 gentle gentle
- Liquid powder - convenient, effective or practical?
- How to wash bedding in a washing machine?
- Terry plaid 🥝 how to wash
- How to wash a cotton blanket at home?
- Bag for washing clothes in a washing machine
- Balls for washing