How to wash acrylic paint from furniture?
Water-soluble and acrylic paints are now widely used in construction and repair works. They lie flat, and the surfaces covered by them look very attractive. But sometimes, by accidental negligence, paint can get on one of the pieces of furniture. What to do then? Water-soluble formulations can be easily washed off with water, even if they have already dried. But how and what to wash off acrylic paint from furniture? In this article we will tell you how to eliminate such a defect quickly and effectively.to contents ↑
Why is acrylic so difficult to wash off?
To answer this question, you need to figure out what acrylic paint is. This is a water-dispersed polymer composition in which substances such as copolymers form a film.
Important! Film-forming substances are directly responsible for the time allotted for the hardening of this product.
Therefore, if during paint work drops of paint fall on the floor, clothes or furniture, the method and duration of removal of such flaws depends solely on the period of time that has passed since they were formed.
to contents ↑
Important! The film former begins to harden in 30-60 minutes after the ink composition has hit the surface.
The main methods of removing acrylic paint from furniture
As mentioned earlier, the choice of method and means for removing such blemishes depends entirely on when they appeared. Further in more detail we will tell you about these methods.
What to do immediately after the appearance of the stain?
If a drop or smudges are fresh, then in this case the usual soapy solution and a foam sponge will suffice. To clean the acrylic paint from the furniture, treat the affected area, then wipe it with a damp cloth.
Important! If you wish, you can at the end of the work furniture grate or wax.
What should I do if several hours or a day have passed since the appearance of the defect?
In this case, absolutely any degreasing agent that you have in your home, such as vodka, alcohol, thinner, or dishwashing liquid, can come to your aid. The process of removing acrylic paint from furniture in this case consists of the following steps:
- Using a construction spatula or metal scraper, remove most of the dried mortar.
- Rub the rest with fine-grained sandpaper. This must be done very carefully so as not to scratch the surface.
- Put alcohol on a rag, wipe the damaged area with it. This should be done until you completely remove any traces of paint.
Important! Do not spare the rags and try to change it during this process as often as possible.
- Apply a large amount of water to the damaged area and wipe it with a clean, dry cloth.
- After a day, polish the furniture well.
Important! Furniture is not the only place where you can find traces of paint. If children are busy painting, then get ready for the fact that you will find paint on glass surfaces, mirrors, clothes, and even curtains. All the useful tips on how to get rid of traces of paint, we have collected in our individual posts:
What to do if several days have passed and the paint has finally dried up?
In this case, you already need to resort to the use of more potent means, such as:
- Brake fluid;
- White Spirit;
Important! Getting started, be sure to protect your hands with rubber gloves.
The process of cleaning furniture from acrylic paint consists of the following:
- Dampen the sponge in the product of your choice.
- Apply liberally to the defective area. Leave to turn sour for 30-40 minutes. Repeat the procedure 2-3 more times.
- Take a strong cloth, moisten it in the substance of your choice. Remove the softened paint from the furniture surface.
- Wipe off the previously treated area first with a damp clean cloth, then dry.
- Apply wax or polish to the surface after 24 hours.
to contents ↑
If the methods were not effective
If you tried everything, but in the end you didn’t succeed, you should not give up. There are more radical and effective methods for removing such defects.
An excellent substitute for potent remedies is the most common hair dryer. To do this, apply a concentrated soap solution to the stain, and then direct a stream of hot air at it. This will make the paint soft and easy to remove.
Special paint remover
This substance is specially formulated to remove any paint from completely different surfaces, including furniture. Thus, it is considered the only universal remedy.
Important! Be careful when working with such a wash, as it has a very unpleasant and pungent odor and can corrode the skin of your hands due to its toxicity. In addition, the procedure must be carried out in the fresh air, or at least with the window open.
In order to remove a defect, you need to follow the following sequence of actions:
- Dampen a clean cloth with plenty of wash.
- Treat the damaged area and leave for 10 minutes.
- Use a clean rag to remove smudges and paint residue.
- Wipe the cleaned surface with soapy water, and then again - only with clean water, and wipe dry.
As you can see, you can remove drops of acrylic paint from furniture. Putting our advice into practice, you can deal with such defects as soon as possible. The most important thing is to do it very carefully so as not to damage the surface and at the same time not to harm yourself.