How to iron bedding on an ironing board?
Very few hostesses know how to iron linens on an ironing board easily and quickly. Therefore, this lesson takes a very long time and requires a significant expenditure of energy and effort. Often this process simply wants to be delegated to someone else, postponed “for later” or simply ignored. Is it necessary to iron the sheets at all, and if necessary, are there any ways to simplify and speed up this process? This article will tell about this.to contents ↑
Do I need to iron the sheets?
Concerning this issue, modern women are divided into two “camps”:
- some people think that ironing bedding is a mandatory process by default;
- others argue that this is just a waste of time and effort.
Which of them is right? To clarify this, consider the main arguments of both sides.
Why do I need to iron bedding?
- Heat treatment of tissues is an additional disinfection.
- Ironed fabrics last longer.
- After ironing, the material becomes softer and more pleasant to the touch.
- Ironed linen looks more attractive and beautiful from an aesthetic point of view.
Why can I ignore the process of ironing bed linen?
- In the process of ironing, the hygroscopicity of the material is reduced, so subsequently the linen absorbs moisture worse, that is, sweat.
- When smoothing the fabric, static electricity accumulates on it, which affects the quality of sleep.
Important! Even for people who consider ironing to be a vain occupation, there is still an exception in the form of baby sheets and duvet covers. The question of whether to iron sheets is simply not raised when it comes to babies. Bends, creases and folds can injure the baby's delicate skin.
Whether it is necessary to iron clothes for a bed - everyone decides independently. But if you settled on the fact that this process is still necessary, then you will find useful information on how to do it right and quickly.to contents ↑
Preparation for ironing. The secrets of proper bedding drying
Quickly iron the kit will allow its proper drying:
- After washing, immediately remove laundry from the drum. So you can reduce the number of creases and bruises.
- Do not dry laundry without spreading all its corners. Before you hang pillowcases and a duvet cover to dry, carefully straighten all the corners, remove from them all the hair that has accumulated during washing. If all this is not done, then ironing bedding on an ironing board or without it will become much more difficult.
- Do not crumple underwear while drying. If you do not have enough space to hang it in full length, then you need to fold it in half. So the kit will dry longer, but it will not be washed so much, and this will greatly facilitate its ironing.
- Drying laundry for too long is not recommended. If it dries, it will be more difficult to smooth it.
- Also, do not remove too wet underwear. Wet clothes that are not fully dried by the iron will rot during storage, moldy.
to contents ↑
Important! The floor must be clean during ironing.No matter how neatly the process of processing the set with an iron occurs, often the sheets and duvet cover touch the floor. To prevent dirtying of laundry, lay a rag on the floor or wipe the floor.
How to iron bedding on an ironing board?
To properly iron sheets on an ironing board without much hassle and waste of time, as well as without spoiling things, you need to adhere to a certain algorithm and useful tips.
The choice of temperature on the iron
Before subjecting the fabric to heat treatment with an iron, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the composition of the fabric, which must be indicated on the label. For each type of matter, you need to use your own temperature regime:
- Cotton, bamboo, satin and tencel iron at 200 degrees.
- Linen products can be ironed up to 210-230 degrees.
- Silk is a very delicate material, it can easily be damaged, so the iron should be set to a temperature of no higher than 50 degrees.
- Jacquard needs to be ironed at a temperature of 120 degrees.
Important! Before starting ironing, make sure the soleplate is clean and the water in the tank is fresh. So you prevent the appearance of unaesthetic stains, which subsequently will be difficult to get rid of on clean linen. To check, run a clean rag over the sole of the iron. If there are no traces left, you can proceed to ironing the bed set.
The process of ironing the bed set itself is not very different from ironing any other thing:
- After heating the iron to the desired temperature, lay the laundry on the ironing board and drive the appliance over it. The fabric should become even.
Important! Sudden movements during ironing are inappropriate. The process should be carried out calmly, without too much fuss.
- Dark-colored linen must first be turned inside out, otherwise - the fabric will gain a glossy sheen. Also, from the inside, you need to process the embroidery, so as not to violate the relief of the decor of the kit.
- If the pillowcase has buttons, then you need to start ironing from sections with loops, and then move on to the other part. Pay particular attention to the corners.
- It is better to iron the sheet when it is folded in half in length. If the material is dense, then ironing will need to be done on both sides. Thin fabric can only be ironed on one side.
Important! If you find an unwashed stain on the fabric, do not continue ironing. First, it is necessary to completely get rid of pollution on matter, since after ironing, the spot will become more noticeable, and getting rid of it will be many times more difficult. Dirt literally “flows” into the fibers.
- Before ironing the duvet cover on the ironing board, you need to carefully level the creases with your hands. First iron one side, and then the other, paying particular attention to the corners. After that, you need to fold the duvet cover in half and iron it again.
Important! Ironed linen must not be hidden in a closet for storage immediately. Give him some time to let it cool completely.
Ironing different types of fabric
As mentioned above, each fabric requires special care. We have already talked about temperature conditions, but there are still some rules regarding the heat treatment of matter:
- Calico Very often this material is used for sewing bed linen. You need to iron such a set by slightly moistening it with water, or in a still wet state after washing.
- Satin This fabric is easy to iron. It does not form a large number of wrinkles even after washing. Satin is ironed exceptionally dry, only from the inside, since water stains may remain on it.
Important! If you used conditioner while washing satin linen, you can refuse to iron at all.
- Cotton is preferably ironed on both sides.
- Silk sets are ironed half-finished, only on the wrong side.
- Terry sheets should not be ironed at all, since after that they become stiff and unpleasant to the touch.
- Chintz is ironed on the front side, treating with water from a spray bottle.
- Synthetics need to be ironed through a clean cloth or through gauze in dried form.
to contents ↑
Important! It is not recommended to spray water on synthetic fabrics with a spray bottle, as spots may remain. The same rule applies to silk.
Useful recommendations regarding the process of ironing and storage of bed linen:
- To make the process more fun, you can simultaneously turn on an interesting film or listen to music.
- Some housewives claim that after ironing, the slight smell of the detergent evaporates. To keep the laundry exuding a pleasant aroma for you, you can sprinkle a few clean sheets of paper with perfume and put them between the sets in the closet.
- It is more convenient to store the kit by laying it completely in a pillowcase. Thus, all the parts of the kit will be in one “bag”, which will ensure the accuracy of the folded laundry for storage and will facilitate the search for the necessary parts of the kit.
- For those who are tired of constant ironing, but would like to have ironed pillowcases, sheets and duvet covers, you can fold the dried products in a pile and place under a heavy object. Thus, the fabric will iron itself.
- The steam generator copes effectively with voluminous things like duvet covers.
- Today you can buy sets of crushed fabric, and thus make life easier to some extent, because such linen does not crease and does not require ironing.
Ironing bedding is a tedious and not always necessary occupation. You can, of course, use the air conditioner during washing and evenly hang laundry for drying, then ironing for aesthetics is not needed. If you still think that linen should be ironed, then use the tips from this article. They will not only facilitate your work, but also help extend the life of your favorite kit.
- How to choose a vacuum cleaner taking into account the characteristics of the house and coatings?
- What to look for when choosing a water delivery
- How to quickly create comfort at home - tips for housewives
- How to choose the perfect TV - useful tips
- What to look for when choosing blinds
- What should be running shoes?
- What useful things can you buy in a hardware store
- Iphone 11 pro max review
- Than iPhone is better than Android smartphones