How to update a sofa?
The interior is always present upholstered furniture. It is practical and incredibly comfortable. But over time, the appearance of the sofa deteriorates. The fabric loses its saturated color, stretches. Due to constant use, various dirt and stains may appear on the couch. Frequent and mechanical damage to the upholstery: tears, holes, cuts or scratches. A logical question arises: how to update an old sofa? How to do it at home?to contents ↑
Features of upholstered furniture
A feature of upholstered furniture is its constant operation. The sofa can be designed not only for sitting, but also for sleeping. With constant contact, friction and use, first of all, the upholstery fabric of the sofa suffers.
to contents ↑
Important! We can distinguish several elements of upholstered furniture on which the material becomes unusable most often: seats, armrests and pillows, if equipped.
DIY old sofa update
By and large, there are only three options for updating the sofa:
- Buy new. This method implies the presence of certain funds, most often considerable.
- Use the services of a qualified professional. Of course, the work will be carried out quickly and efficiently, but the cost of such services is also high.
- Restore it with your own hands.
If everything is very clear with the first two methods, then we will consider in more detail how to update the sofa at home.
Bedspreads, plaids and decorative pillows
In addition to solving problems with the upholstery of the sofa, a bedspread or blanket will create additional comfort in the room. They can be purchased without problems in any home textile store, since the assortment is simply huge.
Important! Before you go shopping, be sure to measure the back of the sofa to select a coverlet to fit.
You will find a variety of these soft accessories: various materials - from airy to dense, all kinds of patterns and ornaments, a wide palette of colors. You are sure to find something special and suitable for yourself!
Important! All these elements of textiles will be able to cope if defects on the surface of the sofa are located so that they can be covered. For example, a back or seats. If any problems are on the armrests - then they become powerless.
Sometimes bedspreads can be made with your own hands. Some housewives sew rugs, and some needlewomen even knit or create them using the patchwork technique, that is, a patchwork canvas.
Decorative pillows will help to hide only defects located on the back of the sofa. However, they perfectly complement the composition with a plaid, and the sofa will acquire a completely new and stylish look.
Important! The disadvantage of this simple method is the regular straightening of the bedspread and the placement of pillows in places. And if the sofa is used for sleeping, then all the elements will need to be constantly collected.
Thus, this is the easiest and cheapest method of updating a sofa. In addition to solving the main problem of masking flaws, the elements of textiles give comfort and warmth to the room, as well as effectively complement its interior.
Another quick and budget way to upgrade an old sofa.
Finished cases are also sold in stores, but they are only suitable for standard models.If the dimensions of your furniture do not allow you to purchase the finished product, then you should contact a specialized studio or a company for sewing covers.
Important! The cover will help you hide any flaws and defects of the sofa upholstery. And you can remove and wash them - regular care will help to keep a clean and tidy look for a long time.
Thanks to removable covers, you can not only update the sofa, but also refresh the general view of the room.
This is a more serious solution, requiring small investments, effort and time. But it’s super-efficient!
If you decide to independently change the upholstery of the sofa, then be prepared for some difficulties in the process:
- The design of the sofa can be difficult for self-dismantling.
- Design a sofa pattern with difficult geometric shapes.
- If the furniture has been used for more than 7 years, most likely, an update will also be required to its frame.
If this is your first time to do such work, we advise you to carefully study how to update your sofa upholstery with your own hands. Below we will consider this process in more detail.to contents ↑
Hauling old furniture - procedure
Before you start the constriction, carefully study the components of the sofa.
Important! The sofa consists of a frame, a seal and upholstery. Furniture details are the back, seat, sidewalls and additional elements, such as fittings, pillows, etc.
Materials and tools necessary for work
Padding the sofa is a rather painstaking process, and diverse work requires a large number of tools and materials.
So, to update the sofa at home you will need:
- Hex keys.
- Various screwdrivers: flat and cross-shaped.
- Furniture nails.
- Matching threads.
- Sewing machine.
- Marker or chalk.
- Construction stapler.
- Shoe hammer.
- Side cutters, nippers and pliers.
Important! Prepare all the necessary equipment in advance so that you do not get distracted from work later. It is most convenient to fold it in one place, for example, a tool box. Thus, the necessary items will always be at hand.
Choosing fabric upholstery for a sofa
If you decide to update the sofa, it is important to choose the right upholstery fabric. Think not only about the reliability of the material, but also about the color and pattern of the coating, its texture. The updated sofa should harmoniously fit into the overall interior of the room. For a long service life, the material must withstand the daily stresses and stretches.
Important! Determine the size of the budget, since, first of all, the choice of upholstery to be purchased depends on it.
- A huge variety of colors, keys, drawings and patterns.
- The large price range makes it possible to purchase upholstery on your wallet.
- Various additional features: washable, smooth or pile surfaces, etc.
Material Selection Rules
To make the right decision in relation to a particular fabric, you will need a few tips and tricks:
- No unpleasant odor. So, leatherette often has a persistent aroma, and if, in addition, upholstered furniture is in a small room, then the smell will also concentrate in the room.
- The material should not fade.
- Unsuccessful upholstery options are coarse and synthetic fabrics. They are quite fast and very stretched.
- Pay attention to the pile of fabric. It must be strong, and when patterning the material, it is important to take into account its direction.
- Drawings and patterns. If the pattern on the fabric is small, then its consumption will be less than when using fabrics with large or geometric shapes.
- Try combining fabrics with each other. This will give your sofa a contrast and exclusivity.
So, what materials can you look at first? Which of them have already established themselves as excellent furniture fabrics?
- Cotton tapestry. Natural cotton fabric.
- Jacquard. This material consists in equal parts of natural and synthetic fibers. In appearance and touch, this fabric is similar to artificial silk.
- Velours. This fabric contains several components: cotton, polyester and viscose. Velor has a nice velvety surface.
- Flock. Polyester fabric, but with a natural cotton content of about 35%.
- Microfiber. Synthetic fabric based on polyamide and polyester.
Important! All of these materials are of excellent quality and are great for upholstery. They are strong and durable, unpretentious in care and look great!
Preparatory operations: disassembly, spring check
The process begins, of course, with the dismantling of the sofa. Dismantling should be carried out sequentially:
- First of all, we release the sofa from overhead elements and decor: backs, pillows, ottomans, etc.
- Then we unscrew the sidewalls, legs, backs and seats.
- We also dismantle sliding mechanisms and fixing elements.
- Remove the upholstery.
- After you have disassembled your sofa, inspect the springs, if any.
Important! During use, springs can often fail: weaken and wear out. They cannot be repaired, they only need to be replaced.
- If the sofa is not spring, but with a filler, then check its condition. Most often this is foam rubber, which does not have a long service life. If you started such a large-scale restoration of the old sofa, it is better to replace the filler, even despite its appearance.
Important! Instead of foam rubber, you can use more reliable modern materials. For example, latex or polyurethane foam. They are durable and keep their shape perfectly.
We pass to the pattern of upholstery elements
This stage may seem the most difficult, but no! After all, the template will serve as the old details of the sofa cover. Therefore, remove them carefully.
What needs to be considered at this stage?
- Cut on a flat surface, you can on the floor.
- Spread the material thoroughly.
- When cutting, be sure to make an allowance of 5 cm at the edges. Cut along the contour with sharp scissors.
- Having cut out all the elements, sew them together.
Important! Pay attention to the fabric pattern and the direction of the pile.
Restoration of the frame and other elements
After you have disassembled the sofa, be sure to evaluate the condition, the deterioration of the frame structure of the sofa:
- If damage is present, they are repaired or replaced with a new part.
Important! Check for loose fittings.
- If necessary - hauling individual elements: sidewalls, backs. It is possible to give elasticity to the updated parts with fittings: buttons or rivets.
- Inspect the back wall of the sofa, if necessary - replace it with a new plywood, covering it with a cloth.
Important! You can update the wooden frame by simply painting it in a new color.
Next you will find the final stage of restoration.
Assembly and installation
At this stage, the following steps await you:
- Direct fixation of the upholstery. Position the elements where they were previously the corresponding parts.
- Attach the fabric to the frame with a hammer, construction nails or a mounting stapler. In this case, the edges are bent inward. The optimal distance between the brackets is 3-4 cm.
Important! Tighten the fabric during fixation so that it evenly, tightly snug around the base.
- Stacking the filler. Depending on the type of filler you use, there are two possible ways of laying it: during fixing the fabric on the part or when the upholstery is almost attached.
- Assembly of the elements of the sofa. It is carried out in the reverse order of the dismantling process.
- The final stage is the installation of minor details. It can be legs, removable pillows, rollers, decoration elements.
And here is the long-awaited result achieved! And most importantly - you were able to independently update the sofa.You must admit that the effect is even more pleasant.to contents ↑
Tips & Tricks
First of all, make a strict assessment of the condition of your sofa. In the absence of mechanical damage to the upholstery, the carcass, it may still be possible to do just thorough cleaning.
Important! Use a washing vacuum cleaner, sponge or brush, special stain removers, and detergents for upholstery.
If not, the following tips will help you to restore as efficiently as possible:
- With no experience, try your hand at a simpler subject. A chair or chair may suit you. Choose material inexpensively.
- During dismantling, as well as hauling, record all actions with a camera or camcorder. In the future, this will help you assemble the sofa correctly.
- When removing upholstery, proceed with extreme caution. All the elements you need for patterns.
- Restoration is advised to be carried out with a regularity of 5-10 years. It is during this period that the fabric wears out.
- Use simple patterns, do not complicate your work. Also, do not experiment in combining several fabrics.
Well, here you have learned how to update an old sofa. Depending on its condition, you will find a simple solution to the problem or a more painstaking approach. In any case, following our advice, recommendations, you will certainly be satisfied with the result. The old sofa will be transformed and will delight with its look.
- How to choose a vacuum cleaner taking into account the characteristics of the house and coatings?
- What to look for when choosing a water delivery
- How to quickly create comfort at home - tips for housewives
- How to choose the perfect TV - useful tips
- What to look for when choosing blinds
- What should be running shoes?
- What useful things can you buy in a hardware store
- Iphone 11 pro max review
- Than iPhone is better than Android smartphones