How to clean aluminum from oxidation 🥝 how to clean to a shine
In any home there are products made of lightweight, but sufficiently durable material - aluminum. Such household items include: pots, pans, sinks, window frames, and furniture fittings. Like any material, aluminum is coated with dirt and oxide film. What if it gets dark? To prevent this, it is necessary to know how to clean and process aluminum from oxidation and not damage the product.to contents ↑
How to clean aluminum from oxide?
To clean and wash aluminum from oxides at home, anyone can:
- The easiest way is mechanical, but you can only use it on planes or parts that have a simple relief.
- To clean metal with a complex profile relief, you must use the chemical method - etching.
Important! You may be interested in more detailed information about this material. Then read a separate review about properties and characteristics of aluminum and utensils from it.
Consider several methods for removing oxide film and other contaminants in household items.to contents ↑
Cleaning kitchen utensils
In order to return to the kitchen utensils shine, you will need the following items and tools:
- Soft cloth or dish sponge.
- Vinegar or lemon juice, tartar.
- Scraper for dishes.
- Mild detergent.
- A bucket or other large container if the dishes need to be cleaned from the outside.
Having prepared everything you need, get to work:
- Wait for the pan or pan to cool after cooking.
- Remove all grease and dirt from the surface of the dishes. Add dishwashing liquid to warm water and rinse off any residual dirt.
- Use a scraper for dishes to scrape off all the soot and leftovers. If the pan cannot be completely cleaned with a scraper, pour a little water into the utensils, bring to a boil and scrape off the dirt from the metal with a wooden spoon.
- Prepare an acidic solution: 2 tbsp. tablespoons of tartar, white vinegar or lemon juice dilute with 1 liter of water.
- Pour the solution into the pan.
- Put the utensils on a fire and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Simmer the solution for 10-15 minutes.
- As soon as the aluminum brightens, turn off the heat.
- Wait for the pan and contents to cool.
- Pour the solution out of the dishes.
- Gently wipe the pan or pan again with a scraper to remove any remaining dull stains.
- Wipe the dishes with a clean towel.
- Do not use a steel washcloth for cleaning, as it can scratch the surface, and this will lead to disastrous consequences.
- If you want to clean the dishes not only from the inside, but also from the outside, then place it in a large pot or bucket. Pour an acidic solution, based on: 1 liter of water - 2 tbsp. tablespoons of weak acid (vinegar, lemon, tartar). Put the container on fire. Boil for 15-20 minutes to clean the aluminum from oxidation.
- If there is no large capacity, you can clean the pan from the outside with a cut lemon, after dipping it in salt.
- An acidic solution reduces tarnishing of the metal. Therefore, to clean the surface of the dishes, use the juice of acidic fruits and vegetables, such as rhubarb or apples.Instead of a solution in the boiling water, you can put the peel of sour apples - in such a simple way you can clean the aluminum from oxidation.
- If you do not want to spend time boiling utensils, then use a mild aluminum cleaner. Use it just like a soft dish brush or soap. Wipe the dishes with a sponge dampened in a cleaner, and then rinse with water.
to contents ↑
Important! There are many speculations and myths associated with aluminum utensils. If you use one and you like it, find out if aluminum is unhealthy.
Cleaning aluminum sinks
The aluminum sink must be regularly cleaned of food debris, dirt and oxide film. To make the plumbing sparkle like new, proceed as follows:
- Wipe the sink gently with a brush, as food particles may interfere with the removal of the oxide layer and make surface cleaning difficult.
- Wash plumbing with dishwashing detergent.
- Rinse thoroughly with detergent.
- Cut the lemon in half.
- Dip one half of the citrus in the salt.
- Wipe the surface of the shell with half cooked lemon.
- Use a damp cloth to remove all salt and lemon.
- Wipe the surface of the sink with a dry towel.
Cleaning aluminum products and parts
In our homes, many products are made of light metal, for example, aluminum fittings or furniture. Due to surface oxidation, the metal does not rust. However, oxidation itself is considered a form of corrosion. As a result of this process, a thin film is formed on the surface of the metal, which protects it from water. Unfortunately, over time, the oxide film grows and the metal dims. All this negatively affects the appearance of the products. Therefore, there is a need to clean and bleach aluminum from oxidation.
To clean aluminum objects in the house and yard, use the following recommendations and tips:
- You can clean aluminum parts of window frames or doorways with one of the universal detergents, for example, Domestos. Although this is a fairly aggressive product, it will not damage the parts, since a stable anti-corrosion coating is applied to such aluminum products.
- Use the following method of cleaning aluminum outdoors:
- Wash the metal surface with water and a mild detergent, such as soap. This is necessary to remove dust, dirt and grease from the coating.
- Use a mild abrasive, such as Soft Scrub, to remove scratches.
- Rinse thoroughly with water. You can use a garden hose for this purpose.
- Mix acid with water in a 1: 1 ratio. You can use: vinegar, tartar or lemon juice. If you are processing furniture or aluminum furniture, then instead of soft acid, use a paste to polish the metal.
- Wipe the metal with a soft dish brush and prepared solution. Try to remove all dark spots resulting from oxidation.
- Rinse the solution with water. Make sure that no traces of mortar remain on the surface of the product.
- Wipe the surface thoroughly with a dry cloth.
- Apply a layer of car polish wax paste to the product. Apply wax with a soft cloth, rubbing the paste in a circular motion.
- Clean the metal outdoors in moderate weather, as aluminum does not tolerate too high or too low temperatures.
- When cleaning an aluminum surface with a steel washcloth, use the thinnest. Clean the surface back and forth, but not in a circular motion to maintain uniform surface texture.
- If it is necessary to clean plaque-coated aluminum wall cladding, use trisodium phosphate. Mix the preparation with warm water in the proportion: 30-50 grams of the product per 1 liter of water. Apply the resulting solution to the surface, but first protect your eyes and hands with protective equipment.
- To achieve a shine of metal, you can use a special liquid WD-40.Work on the product in the fresh air. Apply the liquid with a rag or sprayer. After a couple of minutes, wipe the surface with a hard washcloth or a thin twisted steel wire, which is used to remove carbon deposits from the dishes. After processing, wipe the aluminum product clean with a rag.
- Exterior aluminum surfaces should be cleaned with ordinary washing powder. Dissolve a quarter cup of detergent without bleach in 8 liters of warm water. Apply the solution with a sponge. After treatment, rinse the surface of the product thoroughly with clean cold water.
- Use for pickling metal - caustic soda. The procedure takes a little time, so it is acceptable at home. You can use the chemical household product “Mole”, which is used to eliminate blockages in the drain. Use the drug to clean aluminum from oxidation, as follows:
- Dissolve 1-2 teaspoons of the product in 0.5 liters of warm water (up to 60 degrees).
- Place the aluminum objects in the solution.
- After 1-2 minutes, wash the product with a dish sponge and soap.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Use soda to clean metal. Immerse the product in a solution: 2 tbsp. tablespoons of soda per 1 liter of water. Put the container with the contents on the fire and boil for 10 minutes. After processing, cool and rinse the item. You can use a warm solution of caustic soda.
- Remove the dirty dark film in the following way:
- Dissolve 10 grams of pharmacy borax in a glass of water.
- Add a few drops of ammonia.
- Cover the item with the prepared compound.
- Let the product dry for half an hour.
- Wipe the item with a dry cloth.
Take care of objects made of aluminum and clean them in time from dirt, food debris, carbon deposits and oxide film. Be especially careful to monitor objects located on the street, as they are most susceptible to oxidation, then it is much more difficult to remove it. When working with chemicals, do not forget about protective equipment: glasses, gloves and a respirator.to contents ↑
We hope that our tips and tricks have helped you clean light but durable aluminum objects and they sparkle even better than new ones. Thanks to such simple tips that are not hard to do, oxidized aluminum will not be a big problem for you.