How to remove the smell of a dog in an apartment
You got a dog - this is undoubtedly the right decision, because the animals are so faithful and deliver a lot of pleasant minutes during the rest. But over time, a specific smell appears in the house, and the fact of puddles on the carpet left by a cute puppy is especially unpleasant. How to remove the smell of a dog in an apartment is not an easy question, but you can handle it. In this article, we will give you some recommendations on how to find out the causes of odors and eliminate them using improvised and special tools.to contents ↑
Where to start removing odor from a dog?
In solving the problem of how to remove the smell of a dog in an apartment, you immediately need to look for the source and the cause of the smell. There are several factors through which the smell appears, but most often it is the neglect of regular house cleaning. Therefore, keep these tips in mind and adhere to them all the time that the pet lives in your house:
- Wet clean with disinfectant as often as possible.
- Vacuum carpets, hard-to-reach areas, as dog hair can collect there and create a lasting smell.
- Wipe the floor and carpet once a month with an aqueous solution of vinegar.
- Wash the bedding of the animal as it becomes soiled that it does not become the “epicenter” of the formation of an undesirable odor.
How to remove the smell of a dog in an apartment?
Failure to maintain personal hygiene of the animal can also lead to the problem of the formation of an unpleasant smell of a dog in the apartment. Therefore, watch and take care of your pet in a timely manner:
- Consult with your veterinarian about the frequency of bathing and the choice of wool cleaner.
- Every day comb out the animal’s hair with a brush or comb to remove the undercoat, it draws moisture and gives off an unpleasant odor.
- During molting, comb the wool cover in the opposite direction with a comb moistened with water, this will help to better remove the fallen hair.
- Regularly do the bathing day, wash the animal as it gets dirty at least once a month.
- Use special medical shampoos that kill germs
- To improve the effect of bathing, rinse the pet’s hair with a solution of vinegar diluted in a proportion of 2 tablespoons per 3 liters of water.
- After a day, brush the dog’s teeth with a special paste, it can be replaced with a baby.
- Handle your ears with particular care, some dog breeders believe that the smell of “dog” comes from this particular part of the body.
- Wash the dog's paws, tail area after each walk.
- Treat the area under the tail around the anus with a damp sponge, as fecal residues can accumulate there, especially for breeds with long soft hair.
- Do not use perfumery for animals, if it enters the coat, the aromatic agent mixes with the dog’s natural smell and creates an intolerable smell, which can cause an allergy and ruin the pet’s scent.
- Do not feed your dog food that you eat yourself. Consult a doctor about choosing a menu, he will help you plan a diet specially selected for the breed of your animal, taking into account the characteristics of the breed and parameters.
- To avoid helminth infections, give boiled foods, especially meat and fish. Steam, do not salt or pepper food.
- In order for the pet to receive a sufficient amount of carbohydrates, include in the diet cereals boiled in water from millet, oatmeal, buckwheat. Avoid pearl barley as it weakens.
- Introduce natural vitamins in foods that are found in vegetables and herbs.
- To eliminate toxins in the animal’s body that cause an unpleasant odor, add additives to normal food, they contain fatty acids.
to contents ↑
Important! Some dog breeds naturally have a stronger smell, and after bathing the smell quickly returns, then in this case does not interfere with contacting a doctor, the cause may be infection, caries or other serious diseases. Also, do not forget to walk the animal in time so that it does not meet the need of the house and thereby does not appear an additional unpleasant odor of dog urine.
How to remove the smell of dog urine in the apartment?
Before you begin the process, pay attention to some recommendations:
- Do not wet the stain heavily to avoid being absorbed into the deeper layers of the coating.
- Do not rub on the surface to prevent the stain from spreading.
- Work with gloves.
- If you use a solution of soda and peroxide, wear a respirator, as caustic fumes are released during the reaction.
- Before using any cleaning agents, read the instructions for use.
If you find a fresh urine stain on the carpet:
- Remove most of the moisture immediately with toilet paper or an unnecessary rag.
- Rinse the contaminated area with cool water.
- Apply a special remedy for the smell of animals, which is available or make it yourself. Spray on a source of odor and wait until the substance absorbs - approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Wipe off any remaining product with a rag or wash with a washing vacuum cleaner.
- Sprinkle a wet area with baking soda, leave for several hours.
- Vacuum clean.
- Ventilate the room well.
How to remove the smell of a dog in the house?
In the absence of special tools, we recommend you several recipes on how to remove the smell of a dog.
To wash linoleum and tile, prepare the following product:
- Mix 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide, 2 tbsp. baking soda and 1 tablespoon liquid for washing dishes.
- Apply gruel to the contaminated area.
- Rub thoroughly.
- Wait a couple of hours.
- Rinse off with water.
- Rinse the stain with a mild solution.
- Make a strong solution and water the problem area.
- Leave for a while.
- Rinse off with a clean, damp cloth.
Important! Pay attention that grains of potassium permanganate do not get on the coating..
Try to remove the smell with chlorine-based products - Domestos, White:
- Dilute the bleach in a small amount of water and add a few drops of citrus aromatic oil.
- Moisten the stain.
- Leave for a while.
- Rinse off with water.
- Use incense sticks, they refresh and disinfect the air in the house.
You can remove the smell from the dog in the apartment using special floor cleaning products -Mr. Proper, Mr. Muscle:
- Dilute the product in water in high concentration.
- Mop the floor.
- If a stain has formed on the carpet, first wash with water, apply the solution and rub it with a brush.
Use vinegar or lemon peel to remove dog odor:
- Treat the problem area thoroughly.
- Leave to dry completely.
- Repeat the process several times.
Get special products in pet or pet stores to neutralize unpleasant odors. They eliminate the smell of urine and disinfect the coating by decomposing sources, destroy pathogens, and do not drown out the smells.
If you cannot decide how to remove the dog’s smell in the apartment, we recommend several options for eliminating the smell of urine, the effectiveness of which is beyond doubt:
- Le Artic;
to contents ↑
Important! These substances are absolutely harmless both for the pet and for you. Spray the cleaning agent during the cleaning of the room: carpet, curtains, furniture, in places where you need to eliminate the smell, and your home will become clean and comfortable.
Remember, a dog is a source of your joy! Therefore, do not be upset when a specific smell appeared in the apartment and, especially, do not scold or punish the pet. Use our tips and you will quickly solve such a problem!
- How to choose a vacuum cleaner taking into account the characteristics of the house and coatings?
- What to look for when choosing a water delivery
- How to quickly create comfort at home - tips for housewives
- How to choose the perfect TV - useful tips
- What to look for when choosing blinds
- What should be running shoes?
- What useful things can you buy in a hardware store
- Iphone 11 pro max review
- Than iPhone is better than Android smartphones