DIY furniture polish
Each house has wooden furniture. This is a sign of the good taste of the owner of a private cottage or apartment, and also a specific cosiness, color and quality of the atmosphere. After reading our article, you will learn how to choose the right funds for the care of such interior items, and you can also easily make a furniture polish with your own hands, so that caring for it becomes even easier and the appearance remains unchanged. But first things first.to contents ↑
But do you really need a polish?
Why do we need a polish with a tinting effect? The name itself suggests its purpose.
Important! Polishing - to give the surface a mirror appearance by rubbing.
As a rule, they use such products on varnished furniture, which is the most demanded among the entire range of wooden products. Although they are also used to care for unprotected wood - to align the color, texture.to contents ↑
Industrial polishes - is it worth buying?
What paste or agent polishes furniture well? The composition of industrial polishes includes special substances that fill microcracks in the furniture surface, as a result of which the structure of the material becomes smooth and polished.
Today, storefronts are littered with a variety of products from different manufacturers. They, to one extent or another, facilitate care, but how safe and effective they are always to be evaluated by the consumer after the purchase. Here is a matter of personal choice.
Important! It is not uncommon when a manufacturer promises a water-repellent, shockproof and anti-static effect. But in the end, you get only disappointment and an unpleasant aftertaste on the soul. Although for the sake of fairness, it is worth noting that expensive means will really provide such a result, but cheap analogues are a “believe-not-believe” game.
Furniture wax is a good alternative
On shelves in hardware stores you can find furniture wax. This substance was covered with furniture from time immemorial. And today he takes the first place in wood processing and care.
What are the benefits of using wax:
- the furniture withstands long-term loads;
- the tree does not lose its texture, preserving natural warmth;
- velvety material is preserved;
- after coating, the color of the product becomes more expressive;
- the ability to choose any tone during restoration;
- a thick consistency fits well on the surface of the tree, filling with all the cracks and scratches.
- furniture wax should be applied to clean furniture with open pores (so that there are no coatings);
- labor-intensive process when the surface is varnished (need to be cleaned well).
Important! Furniture wax in most cases is used on freshly made furniture, or during a thorough restoration of furniture products. When you need to remove a few small scratches or slightly refresh the color, it is better to use a polish with wax additives or silicone.
Furniture wax polish AMWAY ™
This is the option when you can trust the manufacturer, because more than one housewife has noted the effectiveness of the products of this brand for various purposes.
Excellent polish Amway, which has established itself as an ideal assistant for the care of wooden and lacquered furniture.
Important! A creamy spray spray consists of a mixture of wax and silicones. After application, the darkened wooden surface acquires its original luster and gloss, scratches disappear.
- cream structure - does not flow, does not drip;
- fresh lemon flavor - non-toxic;
- convenient aerosol can;
- easy to use.
Home Polish - do it yourself (video)
The advantages of home-made polishes are that you know what ingredients the product consists of. It will not do harm - neither to your health, nor to furniture.
Important! For polishing you need a soft clean rag made of natural fabric - velvet, wool (you can take a clean, no longer needed wool sock), fleece.
Consider several recipes for making polish at home
Do-it-yourself polish for furniture according to this recipe is great for objects opened with varnish.
Important! This tool will help you clean the surface from contamination. Gives a mirror shine.
- Take 1 cup of olive oil and a quarter cup of lemon juice. You can add a few drops of essential oil to your taste.
- Mix well, pour into any container with a lid.
- Put a few drops on a clean soft cloth and wipe the furniture. Remove any remaining fat with a clean, dry cloth.
Important! Store in a cool dark place. Storage time is not limited.
By using this method to prepare a care product for a wooden interior, you can remove minor damage and microcracks on furniture made of wood that is not varnished.
You will need these ingredients:
- liquid paraffin - can be replaced with linseed oil;
- wax - any that you can buy (bee, soy);
- any essential oil to your taste - you can without it.
Step by step instructions for cooking:
- Prepare a water bath - take a larger pan in diameter so that it can fit a bowl or mug, heat resistant. We put a pot of water on the fire there we drop a bowl or mug.
- Melt the oil and wax in the bath, mixing and bringing to a homogeneous consistency.
- Cool a little and add the essential oil, mix.
- Pour into a wide-necked jar, as the mixture solidifies after cooling.
Important! When using, apply a thin layer on a wooden surface. Rub in a circular motion with a rag.
This furniture polish with your own hands very well cleans dust and dirt, refreshes color, moisturizes wood. It is prepared as follows:
- Take 1 cup of alcohol (medical) 1 cup of vegetable oil (any that you have at home).
- Pour into a bottle and shake well.
- After wetting a clean, dry cloth, wipe the surface of the furniture.
Such a tool for caring for a kitchen set will help remove oily stains:
- Prepare a water bath as described above.
- Take 1 glass of beer and 50 grams of beeswax - melt it all while stirring.
- Cool, pour into a jar.
Important! Use chilled:
- Apply a thin layer of the product to a clean sponge.
- It is very good to wipe a greasy stain.
This furniture polish is also easy to make at home. It can be used for wooden surfaces not varnished.
For him, prepare:
- 75 grams - jojoba oil;
- 45 grams - coconut oil;
- 30 grams - beeswax;
- 30 grams - carnauba wax (can be purchased by ordering in the online store);
- 120 grams - distilled water.
- Melt the oil and wax in a water bath.
- Remove from heat. Pour water in a thin stream, whisking with a mixer until smooth.
- Put the cooled mixture on a rag, polish the surface until all the product is absorbed into the tree.
Important! After processing with the agent, which includes wax, the wood acquires a water-repellent property. That is, using such a polish for furniture, you thereby extend its service life.
In addition, wax not only protects the tree, but also reveals, emphasizes the beautiful structure of wood.
If you do not have the time and opportunity to prepare and select the above recipes, we offer the simplest and most affordable for each of you.
Such a polish will help restore color, remove microcracks, and shallow scratches.
You can quickly make a furniture polish with your own hands from a regular chicken egg, which is always in your refrigerator:
- Take 1 chicken egg.
- 2 tablespoons of water add to it and beat until smooth.
- Everything is ready. Apply the resulting product on a soft cloth, not synthetic, and rub it with force into the surface until a shine appears.
Important! Means made from chicken eggs should not be stored.
- After polishing, allow the material to brew for 1-2 hours. After - wipe with a dry velvet rag and the surface will become dull.
- Having processed wooden furniture in any of the above ways, you protect it from drying out.
Eliminate scratches on wooden furniture and furniture finishes
Very often scratches, cracks or chips appear on the furniture surface.
We will help you make a polish at home that can fix all these errors.
Recipe for light furniture:
- Melt 2 teaspoons of granulated beeswax in a water bath, remove from heat.
- Add 100 grams of soybean oil to the melted wax, whisk until smooth.
- Cool, pour into a dry container, tightly closed. The shelf life of such a tool is up to 6 months.
Important! Before applying, clean the surface from dust and dirt. Apply a thin layer with a cloth to the scratch and rub in a circular motion.
Recipe for dark furniture:
- Take ½ teaspoon of beeswax, melt in a water bath.
- Add 4 teaspoons of soybean oil, 1 teaspoon of turpentine, 1 teaspoon of lanolin oil, while constantly stirring the whole mixture.
- Remove from heat, cool. Pour into a dry jar.
- Apply in the same way as in the first case.
to contents ↑
Important! When cooking, follow the fire safety rules. Do not leave turpentine on fire for a long time - it can easily ignite.
Now you know everything about why polish is needed and how to use it on wooden furniture. If you are ready to experiment with the goal of improving the care of interior items and reducing the cost of buying such funds, you now have plenty to choose from - recipes from different components, “for every taste”, we have proposed to you in this article. Following our tips and recipes, your furniture will look well-groomed and beautiful for a long time.
- How to choose a vacuum cleaner taking into account the characteristics of the house and coatings?
- What to look for when choosing a water delivery
- How to quickly create comfort at home - tips for housewives
- How to choose the perfect TV - useful tips
- What to look for when choosing blinds
- What should be running shoes?
- What useful things can you buy in a hardware store
- Iphone 11 pro max review
- Than iPhone is better than Android smartphones