Installing outlets in the kitchen with an apron
Modern kitchens provide for the presence of a sufficiently large number of household electrical appliances: refrigerator, hood, dishwasher, microwave, food processor, electric kettle etc. All this increases the requirements for wiring. Particular attention should be paid to the location, as well as to such a nuance as the installation of outlets in the kitchen with an apron. Such work can be done independently, but for this you need to have basic skills and knowledge. This is what we will talk about in this article.to contents ↑
What to consider when arranging outlets in the kitchen?
There are several standard options for the location of outlets around the perimeter of the room, however, not one of them will not be universal. To use the kitchen as convenient as possible, you need to carefully consider the location and number of outlets used. For example:
- It is desirable to have at least three outlets in parallel connection above the working surface. On a kitchen apron in several places the installation of double or built-in elements.
Important! It will not be superfluous to install a separate outlet under the power of the hood, stove or sink.
- When carrying out repairs in the kitchen, it is recommended to lay a new copper wire with three cores to ensure the operation of Euro outlets. Choosing the cross section of the wire, you should start from the maximum total power of all electrical appliances (suppose that all equipment will be simultaneously turned on).
- When calculating the number of outlets, it is necessary to take into account that it is permissible to include several small electrical appliances in one source, however, some spare elements must be provided for connecting additional equipment.
to contents ↑
Important! The main cluster of outlets will be observed at the place where the kitchen wall is installed. In this case, you will need conclusions both on the kitchen apron and on the bottom of the wall.
Rules for the location of outlets in the kitchen
When developing a plan for the location of power supplies, one should be guided by generally accepted electrical safety rules, of which the following can be highlighted:
- The location of the outlet behind the kitchen wall should be 10 cm from the floor.
- The plugged-in appliance must be within a radius of no more than 1.5 meters from the power source (for built-in appliances, this radius can be 1 meter).
- The installation of the output under the hood should occur at the same level with the device.
- Sockets on the apron in the kitchen should be 1-1.5 meters above the floor.
- Above the sink and stove, the installation of such elements is strictly prohibited.
to contents ↑
Important! The specification of the kitchen imposes certain requirements in relation to the protection of outlets from splashes of water and grease, soot, as well as temperature exposure. To increase the safety of use and prevent the occurrence of an unpleasant odor, as well as burnout of contacts, it is recommended to install power supplies with special plastic covers. Also, it will not be superfluous to install special elements to protect against moisture.
Preparation for installation
After drawing up the layout of the power sources, you can proceed to the correct installation of sockets for the kitchen wall. To do this, use a pencil to mark the location of the findings.
When installing outlets on a kitchen apron, much will depend on the material of the apron itself. For instance:
- When arranging a ceramic coating of tiles or an apron of plywood, it will be enough to carefully drill holes for installation in the surface and then proceed according to the standard algorithm.
- It is much more difficult to work with a glass coating. When arranging this option, it is necessary to perform all measurements and careful calculations, marking on the surface in advance and transmit the received data to the manufacturers of the apron. This is the only way the manufacturer will be able to pre-sell the necessary openings for sockets.
Often, a wooden ledge is created to mount the power terminal equipment on the apron. It is worth remembering that safety standards do not include the installation of hidden outlets on kitchen surfaces. Connections of sockets are well twisted together, cleaned, and then fixed and carefully insulated to prevent overheating during operation. Zero and phase wires are routed in different directions.to contents ↑
How to make a socket on the kitchen apron?
To bring outlets to a kitchen apron, you can use the following algorithm of actions:
- When executing the connection algorithm, it is worth paying attention to the fact that before mounting the apron itself, the holes in the wall must be cut into which the socket box is mounted and wiring is formed.
- Installation of the facing material of the apron. When installing the glass surface, the holes in the apron are made by its manufacturer. In the case of using other materials, these holes can be made independently.
Important! It is necessary to choose the location of the sources so that the surface pattern is not disturbed.
- Next, the installation and connection of power in the socket is performed.
What is required?
During installation, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Puncher for arranging a sock.
- Insulated electrical wiring cable.
- Groove bit and crowns for laying wiring.
- Self-tapping screws.
- Boxes of podrozetnik.
- Sockets with protective covers or special devices.
Step-by-step procedure for connecting
To correctly install the sockets in the kitchen on the apron, it is necessary to coordinate their location with the location of the elements of the water, gas and ventilation systems in order to avoid disturbances in their work. Further:
- Disconnect the room completely.
- According to the marking, arrange the holes and recesses for the boxes of sockets and lay them with a bit and a perforator.
- Install outlet boxes.
- Lay the wiring wires in the strobes. Using a sheath of wire and screws, fix the cable in the gate.
- Connect the outlet to the wiring. At the same time, find the wires of the same color and connect them on the one hand to the outlet, and on the other, using express connecting terminals to the power distribution box.
- Fill the strobes with mortar, and smooth the surface with putty.
- Perform a connection check.
- Screw the socket.
- Turn on the power of the room.
Additional installation recommendations
- When installing outlets in the kitchen on an apron, an installation height of 10-30 cm above the countertop of the work surface is allowed. At the same time, it is undesirable to take the lowest possible height, since the surface of the table is often cluttered with dishes, food, and small household appliances, which makes access to outlets problematic.
Important! On the apron itself, it is desirable to minimize the number of conclusions - it is better to increase their number along the edges of the working surface.When placing power supplies near the stove and sink, special attention must be paid to safety requirements.
- Kitchen outlets can be divided into three lines. The first and top line is needed for connecting fixtures and hoods. The bottom line is designed to connect larger household appliances (water heater, stove, refrigerator). This power line may be hidden behind the surface of the kitchen wall below the countertop. In this case, the middle line is needed to connect many electrical appliances, which can be switched on permanently, for example, an electric kettle or microwave, or temporarily, for example, a coffee grinder, mixer, toaster.
Modern kitchens are overloaded with various household appliances that need power. When carrying out repairs, it is worthwhile to calculate well how many outlets you need to make around the perimeter of the room, and how many to bring directly to the kitchen apron. Having carefully studied the information in our article, it will be much easier for you to correctly install sockets for the kitchen wall.
- How to choose a vacuum cleaner taking into account the characteristics of the house and coatings?
- What to look for when choosing a water delivery
- How to quickly create comfort at home - tips for housewives
- How to choose the perfect TV - useful tips
- What to look for when choosing blinds
- What should be running shoes?
- What useful things can you buy in a hardware store
- Iphone 11 pro max review
- Than iPhone is better than Android smartphones