How to remove rust from a chrome surface?
In everyday life, we often face the problem of rust on various materials. In this article we will tell you how to remove rust from a chrome and nickel surface. There is an opinion that chrome parts corrode less. But this is not so - chrome is covered with red spots no worse than ordinary iron.to contents ↑
What is chrome plating and why does it rust?
Chrome plating is a technology for coating a thin layer of chromium on metal surfaces. The most common method of chromium plating is the galvanic method. The essence of this process is the deposition of chromium from an electrolyte on a metal part under the influence of an electric current. Such actions significantly increase the strength of the material in the products, makes it more resistant to corrosion and allows the use of processed metal for decorative purposes.
As a rule, chromed metal is used in plumbing and engineering. Unfortunately, a beautiful shiny chrome surface over time takes on small scratches that open the metal under chrome. Under the influence of oxygen, an oxidation reaction occurs, as a result of which rust appears on the surface, which, as it turns out, is not easy to clean.
to contents ↑
Important! The best way to get rid of rust is to prevent it from appearing.
Recommendations for car care
To prevent the occurrence of all kinds of damage on the chrome surfaces of the car, you should, first of all, take care of caring for them:
- When washing a car with chrome elements, it is advisable to use warm soapy water. Wipe all chrome parts with a soft cloth or sponge immediately after washing.
- A chrome-plated bumper should be wiped with a cloth dampened with warm water for softness.
Important! From processing with coarse materials, chrome parts become covered with a network of micro-scratches and quickly fade.
- To reliably protect the bumper from corrosion, after cleaning it with any compound from rust, it is necessary to grease liberally “Lithol” inside the lining.
- For durability of chrome-plated parts, one should avoid exposure to strong temperature drops and high humidity.
Important! In summer, after washing, it is better to put the car in the shade. In winter, special protective sprays are recommended.
- The pressure of the water during cleaning should have a small capacity. This allows you to gently clean delicate surfaces.
Important! Leaving the garage with traces of moisture on chrome parts is not recommended. Dry them before you ride or wait until the droplets dry naturally.
- From time to time, chrome parts can be wiped with kerosene, after washing it off with warm water. Care must be taken to ensure that kerosene, gasoline or mineral spirits never remain on the surface of parts. Kerosene is also used to degrease chromium before polishing.
Important! Keep soda and mineral oil away from chrome surfaces.
- To protect chrome parts, you can use a special varnish or technical petroleum jelly. These materials offer good corrosion protection, but may slightly impair the appearance of chromium.
Important! Such protection needs to be updated once every 2-3 months.
- To remove stains and grease, use cleaners.
- For effective and high-quality protection, it is better to use means specially designed for this.
How to remove rust from a chrome surface at home?
How to clean the chrome shelf in the bathroom and other products? If corrosion spots nevertheless appeared, the first thing to do is to localize the center of its distribution, to clean and remove the rusted area. After that, coat the surface with oil varnish. To remove rust from the chrome surface, you can do without special expensive cleaners. You can find the substances necessary for this at home.
It is necessary to use this agent with great care, since soda can provoke the appearance of small scratches. But if applied correctly, you will be able to remove rust from the chrome surface without damaging it. For this:
- Mix baking soda with water until gruel.
- Apply the mixture on the damaged surface and leave for a few minutes.
- Remove soda and dirt with a damp soft cloth.
Important! Make sure that the soda does not dry. Do not leave paste on the surface for a long time.
Pounded chalk or tooth powder:
- A similar fine abrasive is applied to a flannel rag and the surfaces are treated.
- After cleaning the rust spots, the remaining powder and rust are removed with a damp soft cloth.
Coca-Cola + foil
For this method of removing corrosion, you can use not only Coca-Cola. Pepsi and other similar drinks can easily cope with rust on chrome surfaces:
- Wipe all chromed surfaces with a soft cloth, clean them from dust and dirt.
- Wash the parts with warm water.
- Take regular food foil, moisten it with Coca-Cola and sand the chrome parts to remove rust stains.
- After processing, it is advisable to polish the surface with felt or a soft cloth.
Important! The aluminum foil method works by transferring electrons between metals, reversing the corrosion process. A similar method must first be checked in a small inconspicuous area to make sure that this action does not damage the surface.
- Fill the plastic bag with vinegar.
- Fasten the bag over the parts with an elastic band and leave for several hours or the whole night. Small parts can be thrown inside the bag.
Important! The exposure time of vinegar on the surface is determined by the degree of rust damage.
Salt and lemon juice:
- Mix in equal proportions lemon juice and salt.
- Use a soft cloth dampened with the mixture to clean the damaged surface.
GOI paste + engine oil:
- Dilute the GOI paste with two drops of engine oil.
- Using a piece of felt dipped in the resulting product, treat the rusty surface.
- Thoroughly remove any remaining rye and products with a clean damp cloth.
Important! Use this method carefully, since the paste is usually coarse. But it is this tool that gives an excellent result, even if you need to remove rust from a chrome surface with a large area of damage.
Potato and laundry soap:
- Cut the potatoes in two.
- Thoroughly rub each part in the cut area with laundry soap.
- Place potatoes on rusty stains for several hours.
- Wipe away any remaining corrosion after a period with a damp soft cloth.
Copper sulfate and hydrochloric acid:
- Mix 200 grams of copper sulfate and 50 grams of strong hydrochloric acid in 1 liter of water.
- Dip a swab into the resulting solution and blot it with all the spots of rust.
- After - it is necessary to wipe everything with a weak solution of drinking soda, rinse with warm water and dry.
Important! Be sure to do this entire procedure only with rubber gloves. Be careful not to get the solution on skin or clothing.
The use of such a fine abrasive will not only help remove rust from the chrome surface, but also polish it:
- Apply dry cement with a soft cloth or felt to damaged areas of chromed metal. Rub them lightly.
- Wipe with a dry cloth and degrease metal.
- Place a soft cloth in a metal jar with melted medical wax (paraffin).
- When the fabric is saturated, remove it from the can, wait until it cools down and beat off excess wax.
- Rub the surface with a wax cloth.
With severe corrosion, as a last resort, you can use the common tool WD-40. It is applied as follows:
- Spray generously and leave for at least 15 minutes.
Important! The optimal processing time for obtaining the best result is 1 hour.
- Wipe the parts well after time.
Chrome will shine as good as new.to contents ↑
Removing rust from chrome plumbing and kitchen items
We encounter chrome surfaces in our daily lives all the time. Initially, they delight us with their brilliance and radiance in the bathroom and in the kitchen. In the loss of the beautiful appearance of such elements, soap foam, mold on plumbing, dust and dirt in any form play a large role. To maintain a clean, radiant appearance, regular cleaning and maintenance of chrome elements is necessary. To do this, you can use the following tools:
- Multifunctional cleaning products, as well as glass washing fluids (“Mr. Muscle”, “Help”, “Clin” and others). Wipe the chrome with a soft cloth.
- Baking soda and sparkling water are a natural alternative to ready-made detergents.
- Traces of soapy foam from chrome plumbing parts can be eliminated using antistatic wipes or a cooking spray.
- So that the soap foam disappears, you can mix baking soda with water, apply it to the surface and leave for several minutes. After this, wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth.
Useful tips for removing rust from chrome surfaces:
- If rust has penetrated the chromium coating through, mechanical treatment is required. The level of granularity of materials for grinding is determined by how deeply damaged parts are corrosion. In some cases, fine emery is sufficient; in others, larger grain.
Important! Carefully choose the material with which you will apply the cleanser. Sandpaper of any grain size is absolutely not suitable for these purposes, since it can provoke the appearance of scratches. Remember that each new scratch is an additional access of oxygen to the metal, it enhances the rusting process.
- If a significant amount of metal is removed by mechanical friction, it is necessary to protect it by applying soil to the welds and other areas.
- The use of acids is possible only if they are immediately removed from the surface of the parts after processing.
- Polish can be used if the damage is shallow. The composition of polishes is not allowed the presence of acid or anhydrous ammonia.
- To remove rust from chrome surfaces and not to damage it, you can use metal (steel wool). For particularly resistant rust, the metal can be combined with other cleaning agents.
- It is possible to apply a protective polishing layer for chrome, spraying it from rust or deeply penetrating grease like “Prolong”, “NANOPROTECH”, “Nordtech”, etc.Although these products are quite expensive, in the long term their use is economically advantageous, because in this way surface wear will be significantly reduced, which will save you from expensive rust removal procedures.
- It is best to repair corroded chrome parts damaged by using specialized compounds that can be purchased at automobile stores.
Rust removal from metal
Not only chrome surfaces can be cleaned with home remedies. Almost all of the above methods quite effectively remove traces of rust on ordinary metal. In addition to them, you can also use the following tools to more quickly obtain the desired result:
- It is possible to remove rust from metal as quickly as possible using chemical agents. As a rule, they include phosphoric or oxalic acid. Under the influence of acid, rust completely dissolves.
Important! Such products are very toxic, therefore it is necessary to work with them in rubber gloves and a respirator.
- You can also clean rust from metal using rust converters that will stop its spread. Products in the form of aerosols are applied to iron with a light layer.
Important! Apply such tools, mainly for further metal painting. In this case, the converters also play the role of a primer.
- You can remove rust from metal with abrasive tools. To do this, use steel brushes and grinding machines. Get ready for the fact that this process will require considerable physical effort.
As you can see, rust can be removed from chrome-plated surfaces and from metal using simple means that are in every home, and using special chemicals. Regularly wash the chrome parts of your home plumbing, thus maintaining the beauty of the surrounding objects. With a little effort, the results will delight you with shine and radiance for a long time.
- How to choose a vacuum cleaner taking into account the characteristics of the house and coatings?
- What to look for when choosing a water delivery
- How to quickly create comfort at home - tips for housewives
- How to choose the perfect TV - useful tips
- What to look for when choosing blinds
- What should be running shoes?
- What useful things can you buy in a hardware store
- Iphone 11 pro max review
- Than iPhone is better than Android smartphones