How to clean a long pile carpet at home?
A beautiful, fluffy carpet is a real decoration of any modern home, creating an atmosphere of comfort and harmony. But what if you find stains and dirt on it, how to wash and clean a long-pile carpet? How to whiten, wash whitelong pile carpet?Do not rush to carry it to a dry-cleaner. In this article, our experts will tell you some effective ways to clean your favorite product at home.to contents ↑
How to clean a long pile carpet?
Depending on the cleaning method, use one or more of the following:
- salt (preferably extra, finely ground);
- 9% vinegar solution;
- baking soda;
- washing powder;
- soap - household and liquid;
- dishwashing liquid;
- carpet shampoo (“Vanish”, “Carpet”);
- small sawdust;
- pumice (ground);
- used tea leaves;
From home inventory you will need the following items:
- spray bottle;
- coarse grater;
- hard brush;
- kitchen sponge;
- clean cloth (rag);
- a vacuum cleaner.
How to clean a high pile carpet?
Long-pile carpets are quite difficult to clean. With a height of 2.5 to 10 cm, they easily absorb dust and dirt. The most insidious lies in the fact that for the time being you can not see the spots that have eaten in them. And even if your cat decided to use the carpet for his small needs, you will notice this far from immediately. Unless suspect something was wrong by smell.
Therefore, the product should be cleaned in at least 2 stages:
- Dust cleaning. Vacuum the carpet or do not be too lazy to take it out into the yard and thoroughly knock it out.
- Surface treatment with improvised means or special cleaning agents.
to contents ↑
Important! The first of these should be carried out regularly, at least once a week. The second - as needed. And if you have a lot of decorative coatings with a short pile in your house, use the selection of methods from experienced housewives, how to clean stains on the carpet.
How to quickly clean a long pile rug at home?
In order to clean or wash a long pile carpet, several methods will work. Just choose the right one for yourself and act as soon as you decide on this procedure.
Soda and vinegar will certainly be found in the kitchen of every housewife. Use them this way:
- Take 1 liter of cold water.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Add 1 tsp. 9% vinegar.
- Pour 1 tsp. baking soda.
- Stir well.
- Dampen the brush in the solution.
- Gradually apply on the carpet.
- Clean with soft movements one way, along the pile.
- Let the carpet dry.
Ammonia and detergent are also useful in solving the problem:
- Take out the bucket.
- Pour 5 liters of warm water.
- Pour 3 tbsp. washing powder.
- Add 1 tbsp. ammonia.
- Mix well.
- Take a soft, damp brush.
- Wet it in solution.
- Carefully clean the surface of the carpet.
- Use a damp cloth to remove any detergent.
- Wipe with a dry brush or rag.
- Dry the carpet well.
Important! After cleaning, be sure to ventilate the room.Whenever possible, work with open windows in the summer.
Regular table salt will help refresh the color and give brightness to the carpet. Type it more - and proceed:
- Spread the carpet on the floor.
- Moisten it slightly with water from a spray bottle.
- Sprinkle on top with salt, preferably finely ground.
- Allow the salt to absorb moisture.
- Pour warm water into a bucket.
- Add 1-2 tbsp. liquid soap.
- Moisten a broom in a soapy solution.
- Comb the pile, periodically washing the broom.
- Take the rug outside.
- Hang the pipe inward with a pile.
- Knock it out to remove any remaining salt.
- Dry it.
Important! Using the same cleaning method, finely ground pumice, wood chips and even sauerkraut squeezed from brine can be used instead of salt. For colored carpets, used tea leaves are suitable. On light products, it is better not to use it, as spots may remain.
To clean a long pile of dust, use a universal tool - baking soda.
- Take a spray bottle.
- Pour 1 liter of cool water into it.
- Add 1 tbsp. soda.
- Shake the bottle well several times to mix the solution.
- Spray the mixture over the surface of the carpet.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Wipe with a damp cloth.
- Roll up.
- Take to the street.
- Carefully knock or clean with a dry brush.
Important! Do not vacuum the freshly washed and damp carpet, as long fibers can easily be deformed. If the pile is high (6-8 cm), even the best washing vacuum cleaner can only clean your product from above. Inside, dirt will gradually accumulate. Such vacuum cleaners are well suited only for products with a small pile and carpet.
Vinegar, ammonia and detergent are suitable for combating stains:
- Prepare a large bucket.
- Pour 7 liters of warm water into it.
- Mix with ½ cup vinegar.
- Add ½ cup ammonia.
- Pour 3 tsp. colorless detergent or liquid for dishes.
- Shuffle all components.
- Apply to the carpet with a brush.
- Rinse off any remaining product with a damp cloth.
- Blot the carpet with a dry cloth.
- Dry it.
Important! This method can be used both to clean the entire product and to remove fresh stains. To do this, simply reduce the proportions. To prevent the stain from spreading over the surface, carefully clean it from the edge to the middle.
If you want to achieve the highest quality result, try a combination of laundry soap and turpentine. Prepare a washing solution:
- Pour 1 liter of warm water into a container.
- Grate a bar of laundry soap on a coarse grater.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp. soap in the water.
- Pour in 1 tbsp. turpentine.
- Mix well.
- Apply to the pile with a brush.
- Leave on for 20-30 minutes.
- Clean the carpet several times: first with a wet, then slightly damp cloth.
- Be sure to ventilate and dry the product.
Important! Since the components, especially turpentine, have a very specific smell, do not forget to ventilate the room for several hours after cleaning. It is preferable to use this method in the summer.
The solution is not for the faint of heart - kerosene for cleaning carpet products. Use it like this:
- Take a bowl.
- Fill with 2 liters of warm water.
- Dissolve 1/2 tablespoon in it. washing powder.
- Add 1/2 tbsp. kerosene.
- Take a soft rag.
- Wet it in solution.
- Wipe the surface of the carpet.
- Take a wet rag over the carpet.
- Blot the surface several times with a dry, clean cloth.
- Let the carpet dry.
Important! Kerosene fights not only with pollution, but also disinfects the surface well. The disadvantage of this method is that the substance has a strong unpleasant odor that will disappear for several days. Therefore, carry out processing in the summer, when you can open the windows and provide access to fresh air into the room.After cleaning, take a few hours outside or solve your current problems outside the home.
Do not trust the “folk” recipes? Buy special carpet shampoos! Apply as follows:
- Vacuum the carpet thoroughly.
- Carefully read the instructions for using the selected tool.
- If this is a popular “Vanish” - mix 1 part of the product with 9 parts of cool water (temperature - not more than 40⁰C).
- Beat the shampoo until foamy.
- Apply a soft sponge evenly over the entire surface of the carpet.
- Wait until the product has completely dried.
- Pour cold water into a bucket.
- Dissolve 1 glass of vinegar in it.
- Treat the surface to neutralize the alkali contained in the shampoo.
- Ventilate the room well.
to contents ↑
Important! Such household chemicals are not recommended for use with natural pile carpets, with unstable coloring and for delicate handmade carpets. Due to the fact that alkali is present in the composition of the substance, it is not advisable to use it often. This may cause color fading.
- When cleaning carpets, always use the most mild detergents, primarily of natural origin. Only if they did not produce the desired effect, use more aggressive chemicals.
- Regularly, at least once a week, clean the carpet from dust and dirt with a normal vacuum cleaner. It is better not to use a washing machine for long hair.
- In the summer, take the carpet out more often and knock it out.
- In winter, you can clean the product with freshly fallen dry snow. Just spread the carpet outwards, sprinkle with snow (you can knock it out) and sweep away a broom.
- Always dry your carpets thoroughly after washing or cleaning. Prevent moisture - the ideal environment for the growth of bacteria and mold.
- In no case do not wet expensive handmade carpets, products from wool and silk. Use the dry cleaning method or dry clean. You can learn more about the methods used by specialists from our article. “How much does carpet cleaning cost?”.
- When working with various chemicals, be sure to wear rubber gloves to protect your skin from toxic substances.
- When cleaning carpets, ventilate the area more often. In summer, you can leave windows or windows open for as long as possible.
Important! You might also be interested in information about how to choose a carpet.to contents ↑
We hope that our tips will help you not only to clean, but also to keep your carpet products in perfect order - items related to warmth and comfort. Let your house always smell of cleanliness and freshness!